Our beautiful daughter Emersyn Paige passed away from SMA Type 1 on April 7th,2009 at the age of 7 months old. This blog is dedicated to her life, legacy and spirit and our journey as a family through grief.





















































Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mourning and Fighting For a CURE

Jason and I have been rallying for a cure, fundraising and creating awareness for SMA since Emersyn was diagnosed and even more so after she passed away. Sometimes I think that we may come across as "ok" since we are both working now, fundraising and carrying on with the day to day tasks of living. The truth is that rallying for a cure for the disease that stole our beautiful daughter from us is something that we feel compelled to do as her parents but as grieving parents we actually have very little energy to do even the most basic of tasks. We want to do so much more with our ideas for our foundation but we feel like we are wearing a 500 pound back pack on our backs (aka grief) so we try to pace ourselves as we know the day when we are ready to launch The Emersyn Paige Foundation for SMA will come. It takes a great deal of energy and concentration to focus on anything when you have lost your child, at least that is how we feel and in speaking with many other bereaved parents is how they feel also.


We are still fragile, broken hearted, depressed and filled with "soul pain" as we mourn the loss of our daughter and this is our right and necessity if we have any hope of healing. Losing Emersyn is not a "sad story" or an isolated incident that we look back on and say "wow that was hard" it is a daily way of living that we struggle and wrestle with and will continue to cope with for the rest of our lives. We have not accepted Emersyn's death because that is not a natural choice any parent can just make. However, we have accepted that we will always live with the chronic pain of missing, loving and being separated from our child. We think about Emersyn and miss her every second of everyday at this point in our grief journey. Our grief is also a link to our child so it is a two edge sword....it is our connection with her and our curse all at the same time.


It takes tremendous energy just to live so for us and for other bereaved parents I just want to share that although we appear to be functioning "well" on the outside we are hurting terribly on the inside but we know that this is normal and dare I say even healthy and we don't need "fixed" we need to be allowed to be angry, sad, pissed off, happy, lonely and the list of complicated emotions goes on and on.....


We have tremendous support from our circle of close family and friends and we are beyond grateful. We have also been so touched and overwhelmed (in a good way!) by the amazing support of people who we have never met and those who we don't see all of the time but still continue to offer their support and understanding. We feel Emersyn comes through to us and connects with us through nature and other people. We seem to have an insatiable need in our grief to be validated, acknowledged and understood. We know that no one person can fill that hunger for understanding and comfort but somehow we keep searching. Sorry if we are wearing you out I know we are a big pain sometimes! (I really do mean that, I know how high maintenance we are) We have been very lucky to have a key group of people who go there with us time and time again, who keep calling, emailing, sending cards and we know that they will always be there for us as they know that this is a life long condition and we need that extra TLC.


Jay and I feel that we NEED and WANT to fight for a cure for SMA and we are honoured to do it and we don't want anymore beautiful children to lose their lives to this monster of a disease! We just want people to know that we are tired, extremely sad, we still cry everyday and we are devastated every time we wake up and realize that Emersyn's physical self is gone in this life. To be bereaved means to have "special needs" so a bereaved parent is a parent who has special emotional needs. This is not a "sad story" that we will move on from this is our tragic reality and 'new normal'. We know most people understand this but we just need to say it sometimes. Fighting for a cure, going back to work or looking "well" does not mean that we are not in pain. We are just trying our best to have reasons to live and honour our beautiful girl while at the same time fight for a cure for SMA so no more children and families will have to live with this pain.

5 comments:

  1. Melanie and Jason,

    I admire your strength and courage to take on all you do in spite of your immense grief. I'm sure Emerson is very proud of everything you have accomplished in your fight for a cure for SMA!! You are loved :)

    xoxo KIM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jason and Melanie, I am so sorry that you lost your beautiful daughter Emersyn to sma.I can't believe such a "monster" disease gets so little attention (tragic). I like so many others had never heard of sma until a couple of years ago. I met a wonderful family and there 10 year old son Hayden has sma, and since the first day I met them I knew I wanted to help to find a cure.
    Just this week I signed the family up for the rebecca run, I really hope I get to meet you!!
    and at the end of May I am hosting a two day garage sale, and all the proceeds are going to the Gwendolyn strong foundation. I am also taking pledges on behalf of Barb Zahn for "cutting it off for a cure" I just ordered my hoodie with Lucy on the front, I can't wait to get it.
    I live in Port Perry and wanted to let you know, I would love to help you out in any way I can when you launch your foundation.I am very active on FB at the moment, spreading awarenss about sma.
    We will find a cure, someday,somewhere,somehow!! and I for one will not give up until we do.!! I admire your strength and courage, I'm sure your little angel Emersyn is smiling down at you right now!
    Keep the faith, you are both in my thoughts and prayers!!
    Caroline Lamont

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kim and Caroline for your messages of love and support. Kim, Jay and I think of you guys everyday and send big hugs and love to beautiful Kaitlyn! She is an amazing little girl.

    Caroline, that is amazing that you know little Hayden it is a very small world indeed....we met Hayden last year at the Rebecca Run along with his parents and adorable sister Lauren. We keep in touch with Tina and are really hoping that their dream vacation to Disney is going smoothly right now, they truly need this.
    Thanks for your support guys,
    Love
    Mel xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, I am so glad you shared these thoughts...not only for yourself to get them out and on 'paper' but also for people to see that losing a child is not something you 'get over'...your life will never be the same, you will always wonder what she would be like, what she would be doing etc etc.. I know from someone who hasn't been in the situation of losing a child I have sometimes thought "I better not say that, what if I remind them of this, or make them think of something else they are missing" etc etc. but I have realized that you have done all those things, thought the thoughts and felt those things and it is better to talk about your incredible child, talk about memories, talk about what people might be feeling/missing/thinking and letting them know that their little one is NOT forgotten. I think people worry about what to say and what not to, and that is understandable and I think we will all say the "wrong thing" sometimes, but not saying anything or carrying on like nothing has happened is always the wrong thing!
    I think you and Jason are doing wonderful things, in Emersyn's honor, in her name and in the name of your family!! You have so much love to share and Emersyn has touched so many lives and I know will continue to through her story and the work you and Jason do for yourselves, for her, and for SMA in general.

    Always in my thoughts, hugs, Em

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks as always Emma for your love and support I feel like I have known you for years! You are my friend away from home who I feel like I know so well. Thank-you for always validating and never judging..... you really are a truly compassionate person who I am thankful to have in my life.
    Much love,
    Mel xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete